2021 Media Day

Post articles here about your team or the CLUB.
aaron

2021 Media Day

Post by aaron » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 am

As we near the beginning of the 2021 season, please respond to the questions and reply to others! Participation in these types of things only add to the league experience.

1) Who was your biggest addition this offseason, and what do they bring to your organization?
2) What would your biggest critic say about your offseason?
3) Which prospect are you most excited about in your organization, and will they see big league action this year?
4) Who is your best MLB player right now, and why?
5) Real life question: your thoughts on the Astros punishment? Too harsh, to light, or fair?
6) HOT TAKE! Make a bold prediction for the 2021 season. Which team will surprise this year?
7) What, in your opinion, is the most overlooked OOTP strategy?
8) Who wins your division this year and why?
9) Predict the World Series participants and winner.

Jason

Re: 2021 Media Day

Post by Jason » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:55 am

Chicago White Sox Press Release

1) Biggest addition: Jorge Crespo is one of those (unrealistic) international free agents, and if my scout is right he'll be great. I'm paying him a lot of money to find out anyway. Should add some nice power.

2) Offseason critique: Didn't really add pitching. Just hoping some guys improve and prospects step in nicely.

3. Exciting prospect: Mac Horvath looks really good, but he's a couple years away.

4. Best player: Eloy Jimenez had 44 homers last year and still has more CON and POW to develop. If only he could field too.

5. Astros: My initial reaction was that it was fair, but since then it's kind of turned into a bigger mess and all of the villains in the story (Astros org, Manfred) have only made it worse. I don't think stripping the title works, but I'd be in favour of an official asterisk, and a harsher "death penalty" to the organization. I.E. 5 years of lost draft picks and no international money or something.

6. Hot take: I think the White Sox will surprise... I only say this because I don't really have time to follow any organization but my own. Tigers look to have made a lot of moves as well.

7. Overlooked strategy: Probably digging into the in-game simulator and running tests from it. I know I've learned a lot by doing that.

8. Division winner: I'll be a homer again and say the White Sox. I believe our lineup has got a lot better, our defense has gotten better, and our pitching has stayed about the same.

9. World Series: Seems like the Dodgers are the team to beat, having won last year and still working to get better this year as well. The AL might be a bit more wide open, we'll see.

Papasmith

Post by Papasmith » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:39 pm

TIGERS PRESS RELEASE

Well the Tigers added a lot this off season.

1) Clayton Kershaw I’m hoping he can lead my staff to a decent season. He is paid in full so the financial burden isn’t there
2) Critics aren’t happy wegave upsome great prospects this off season
3) Our most exciting prospect has to be DJ Peters. He had such a phenomenal year last year at AAA. If he can even come close to those numbers we will be happy.
4) The Tigers most exciting player is likely Lewis Brinson. He is ready for a breakout year and has been a nice addition to our team.
5). I hate every aspect of the Astros debacle. I’m just tired of hearing about it at this point however.
6) I say watch out for the Mariners they made some great moves this off season.
7) I think FIP is one of my favorite stats on which to evaluate pitching
8) I think the Tigers are going to compete for their division this year. The improvements can’t be overlooked. Time will tell
9) Hard to go against those Dodgers. However watch Seattle

Zach

Post by Zach » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:25 pm

Orioles Press Release

1) Who was your biggest addition this offseason, and what do they bring to your organization?
Gary Sanchez, hands down. Brett Cumberland had a nice rookie season at catcher, but when the opportunity presented itself I couldn't turn it down. He's bringing a reliable bat to a premium position.

3) What would your biggest critic say about your offseason?
My biggest critics wouldn't be able to shut up. They'd complain that Sanchez is more of a win-now move and I gave upa prospect who's going to help me win later. They'd complain that I didn't do enough on the pitching front to justify that kind of move. They'd also complain that management just isn't opening up the wallet enough to field a competent team.

4) Which prospect are you most excited about in your organization, and will they see big league action this year?
Heliot Ramos is coming in hot. It crowds my outfield situation, but he's young with a super high ceiling. He'll be up when injuries bite.

5) Who is your best MLB player right now, and why?
Gary Sanchez, because he is. Although Ryan Mountcastle, if he builds on his ROY campaign, could be a strong 2nd.

6) Real life question: your thoughts on the Astros punishment? Too harsh, to light, or fair?
Waaaaaay too lenient. I know there are union issues with punishing the players, but to be off scot free is a travesty. Honestly they WS should be vacated.

7) HOT TAKE! Make a bold prediction for the 2021 season. Which team will surprise this year?
Bold prediction: two teams from the Tertiary will be promoted. ChiSox and Tigers have made some great moves, and I'm stupidly optimistic about my team.

8) What, in your opinion, is the most overlooked OOTP strategy?
Probably disregarding what the auto-analysis says. I personally believe my minors system is waaaay better than it's ratings.

9) Who wins your division this year and why?
Probably the Tigers, but I don't think they can build on that.

10) Predict the World Series participants and winner.
Dodgers (winning) from the NL. AL I'm gonna say Oakland.

(I'm going to add this one) 11) How will you define a successful season?
If my team is .500 that'll be a massive success. Hopefully the team gells, Bochy gets some more consistency and we can start wiping those 100 loss seasons off our 3 year value.

khlod

Post by khlod » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:29 pm

Milwaukee Press release

SP Giolito, Lucchesi, and Minor should offer us stability in the rotation, which will be more sustainable than last year. Thommy Pham will be a nice Ryan Bran take over at LF.

Not being able to upgrade infield - had to let go a few prized prospect to upgrade your Starting rotation.

3) Which prospect are you most excited about in your organization, and will they see big league action this year?
Braden Webb was suprisingly good this ST - let's see how this will translate in season play! OF Matt Wallner will have to be tried in ML this year, as pitcher and as fielder (or DH).

Well, you all know I have Yelich, but Mike Moustakas was, in 2020, the most steady offensive producer. Very pround of Hiura and the addition of Brandon Crawford last year was enjoyable! If Woodruff keeps it going this way and stays away from injurys, he will be one to watch!

5) Real life question: your thoughts on the Astros punishment? Too harsh, to light, or fair?
As a RL Dodgers fan, I'd rather not say what I think about them...

6) HOT TAKE! Make a bold prediction for the 2021 season. Which team will surprise this year?
So hard to tell ...OOTP is so unpredictable...but I think that Tigers had a good offseason, let's see how they will fare... San Diego should have an nice season in their new division...

Well, gotta say that the use of Openers/Followers gave me surprisings results in different kind of OOTP games...

Again, the mighty Dodgers should win it all in our division, but it will not be without a fight agains us! They are my legitimate ennemys, they're the one who block our way to succes!!

Dodgers, vs ...hmmm the best of AL! ;) Sooooo opened!

alexsheft

Post by alexsheft » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:16 am

aaron wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:59 am
As we near the beginning of the 2021 season, please respond to the questions and reply to others! Participation in these types of things only add to the league experience.

We've had a fairly quiet offseason. However I'm excited about Rule V acquisition Jose Devers.
We didn't do nearly enough to improve in a very tough division. However, most quality free agents this offseason were out of our price range.
Wander Franco, obviously. It's pretty unlikely, but never say never. I'd love to see it.
It's hard to choose between Snell and someone like Adames. Both brought incredibly important assets to our team last year. However, I think Snell will contribute more this year. Having an ace at the front of the rotation is invaluable.
I think it could have been heavier, but I don't have quite as an extreme view on this as some do. However, I'm very disappointed with Manfred's overall treatment of the situation.
The Angels will always be a threat as long as they have Ohtani and Trout.
Waiver wire trawling. Too many people have too high a standard on the types of players they acquire. The secret to winning is not to go and sign all the best players, but to gradually make small gains through various avenues and eventually convert them into a larger gain.
Astros. They will be a stacked team for several more years.
Nationals over Mariners.

Jon's Brew Crew

Post by Jon's Brew Crew » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:47 pm

San Diego Padres Press Release

Debatable between Kenley Janson and Jackie Bradley Jr. Both coming off disappointing seasons as they're getting up there in age. Bradley Jr mainly acquired for his defense, which we're not a very good team at, and hoping Jansen can rebound and upgrade a relief corps that was shaky at best last season.

Some could worry that I'm relying too much on young players that overachieved last season. Others could say the Bradley Jr. contract will end up being a waste of money.

Possibly Christopher Cruz, who was signed as an INT amateur RP before developing a 3rd pitch. Very far away from a big league appearance, but he's one of my rare RHP prospects and has the same kind of high upside as Adrian Morejon.

I don't think an argument can really be made against Manny Machado, though Trea Turner can give him a run for his money, and I'm hoping Adrian Morejon can establish himself as an ace after a very impressive 1/3 of a season.

On the light side, though it effectively killed Luhnow and Hinch's careers, since no one's gonna hire them. Curious to see if those lawsuits we are starting to see will succeed in bringing them more meaningful punishment in terms of $$.

Call me crazy, but I think the Baltimore Orioles have the tools in place to take a big step forward and finish over .500

I'd say going the quick re-tool route instead of the complete tear-up of an organisation when things aren't going well.

Padres win cause we're the best.

LAD again over CLE

itsbck

Post by itsbck » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:40 am

Arizona Diamondbacks Press Release

1) Who was your biggest addition this off season, and what do they bring to your organization?
We didn't do much. Had our hands cuffed with the last year of Zach Greinke's money on our books. Looking for Carter Keiboom to fully come into his own at the hot corner.
Why did you sign David Peralta to a 2 year contract worth 24 million dollars in the middle of last season? Why didn't you find a way to bring home Max Scherzer back home to the desert when the cost in players was marginal? I could say more, but that's what a good critic would start with.
I'm extremely excited for Alek Thomas. In the California League (A+) he had .390/.549/.995 splits in 74 games. As long as he doesn't slip up at double A, I think he can slot into any 3 outfield spots very quickly as an archetypal lead off man in the majors sometime this season.
1A Ketel Marte. He's a two time all star and might have won the batting title if he didn't get hurt at the back half of last year.
1B Caron Kelly. Gold Glove defense at catcher with a fine bat. The hardest thing to find in baseball.
I think what the Astros did was gross. I hate it. I wouldn't strip them of the title, but I'm all for putting it in the records that they won with an asterisk. Make a special section for them in the hall of fame just to shame them.
The Padres are going to win National League.
7) Who wins your division this year and why?
See 6
8) Predict the World Series participants and winner.
*Padres vs Rays
*denotes winner
Arizona Diamondbacks General Manager