AL Professional Division Preview

Post articles here about your team or the CLUB.
Chris_SFG

AL Professional Division Preview

Post by Chris_SFG » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:02 pm

AL Professional Division

Teams that left the division: CHI-, OAK+, BAL+
Teams that joined the division: NYY+, TB+, SEA-

Seattle Mariners:
2029 Review:
SEA finished with a 79-83 record, 11th in runs scored and 4th in runs allowed.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: SEA had some big turnover this offseason, starting with SP Powers who had an excellent rookie campaign. They also let OF McClain and SS Chapman hit FA, who is more of a name than great player going into his age 37 season. Last they lost SS Minier on waivers, and although he had a down season last year, he is only 1 season removed from a 3.8 WAR season.
Players Acquired: For a team that ranked 5th in HRs last year they added some more pop to the lineup. They signed LF Hinds who they are hoping continues to hit away from Coors, and acquired a couple of bounce back candidates in C Espinoza just 1 season removed from a 3.4 WAR season and is only signed for one year, and 1B Hoskins who was consistently a 3 WAR player for most of his career. They also signed some talented relievers in Gomez and Jimenez.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: Lot of players with upside on this team, but I will focus on 3B Carlson who has a career .710 OPS despite having plus plus power and plus contact. While he will not walk much, he should have an OPS closer to .900 with plus defense, he could have 5 WAR potential and is still only 25 years old.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Wangerin was one of the rookie starters that debuted last year, but he did not have near the seasons Patterson and Powers did, with a 5.45 FIP. Most of that was due to a career high 2.0 HR/9. I am looking for that number to drop and put closer to mid-rotation stats.
Expectation: This is a high upside team with a large variation of outcomes. I would not be shocked by a 95 win season or another just below .500 season. So I will go with the boring answer of a 83-88 win season that should compete for the division.

Boston Red Sox:
2029 Review:
BOS finished with a 82-80 record, ranking 6th in runs scored and 5th in runs allowed.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: BOS lost a lot of contributors from last season for various reasons. They let 3B Arenado, SP Mata, RF Guzman, and SP Stills all hit FA combining for a 7.4 WAR lost. They also released LF Fairchild who put up .875 OPS last season for them.
Players Acquired: BOS signed 4 major players this offseason, old friend Mookie Betts, SP McClanahan, SP Buehler, and C Murphy. All are low risk 1 year deals, some with options. They also traded for some relievers in Cardwell and Baker.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: It appears BOS is relying on 3B Witt to be the everyday starter in 2030. In his shortened debut season last year he put up .818 OPS and 2.6 ZR. While I think it is unrealistic to expect those offensive stats to continue he will be looking to provide bottom of the lineup offense along with his plus defense.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Montero burst on the scene with MIA putting up a 2.92 ERA and 5.1 WAR in his rookie season. He struggled in only 16 starts the next season before being traded to BOS and spotting a 6.34 ERA in 76 IP. He is looking to put the past 2 season behind him and get back to his rookie numbers. Montero will have a large say on how good this BOS rotation is in 2030.
Expectation: BOS will replace LF Fairchild and Guzman with Betts and couple of internal candidates. SP Buehler and McClanahan should replace the production from Stills and Mata with some upside. The big loss comes from 3B Arenado to Witt, although they did upgrade at C with Murphy. All in all I don’t see too much change for BOS this year, I would expect a 83-88 win season and competing for the division.

Texas Rangers:
2029 Review:
TEX went 83-79 last season ranking 3rd in runs scored and last in runs allowed in the league.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: A big trade was made this offseason with SF that will define TEX this year. They traded away LF Trammell and SS Rodriguez to SF, and let Ohtani and C Bart hit FA. It is a lot of offense they lost and are looking to replace internally.
Players Acquired: In the big trade with SF they acquired a big game SP in Kopech who had an excellent past 5 years in SF, sporting a 3.10 ERA and was worth 22.1 WAR in those 5 seasons. They also signed SP Santana who has been a solid 1.5-2 WAR pitcher for most of his career. As much as they lost in the offensive category, they gained 2 desperately needed starting pitchers who should help the rotation.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: OF Reynolds is a 5 tools prospect who was the 45th ranked prospect last season. He had a strong debut in 2029 and will look to build on that and be a cornerstone on this TEX team.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Kopech has looked like an ace in SF benefitting from Oracle Park, it will be paramount to TEX for him to continue to dominant in a much more hitter friendly park.
Expectation: TEX replaces Trammell with a full season from Reynolds, Otani with Santana. They dramatically improved their rotation with Kopech as an anchor, but C and SS look to take a hit. I think this team is marginally better than last year. And if the rotation and middle infield play up to their capability this team could compete for the division. My guess is a 83-88 win season for TEX in 2030.

Tampa Bay Rays:
2029 Review:
TB went 87-75 last year getting promoted to the Professional Division. They ranked 10th in runs scored and 3rd in runs allowed.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: TB lost SP Puk, LF Winker, and some middle infielders to FA – 2B Gordon, SS Reyes, and 3B Jung. They totaled to equal 11.3 WAR last season.
Players Acquired: They did make some major FA signings to replace those players though. SPs Quijada and Florez, LF Hassell, and middle infielders 1B Bell, 2B Senzel, and 3B Ramirez all look to replace the players they lost.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: LF Keller had a solid rookie campaign with a .817 OPS and 20 homeruns in 400 ABs. TB will be looking for him to help improve their bottom offense from last year.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Donovan will very likely start the year in AAA since it looks like the rotation is set with seasoned veterans. But at some point this season they will likely need reinforcements between injuries/performance, and he looks like he should slot right in as a mid-rotation starter.
Expectation: The SP rotation is very solid and has plenty of depth in AAA, pitching will not be what holds this team back. C and SS are still likely weaknesses, they will need OF and corner IF to carry the offense. While the floor is fairly high on this team due to the pitching, the ceiling is limited by the lack of offense. I would guess a record close to last year which should have them competing for the division.

New York Yankees:

2029 Review:
NYY went 90-72 last year winning the division and earning a promotion to the Professional Division. They ranked 5th in runs scored and 7th in runs allowed.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: NYY lost SP Layne, RP German, and 1B Wyatt to FA.
Players Acquired: They traded for SP Avila to replace Layne and signed RF Beck.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: LF Coons is the #84 prospect in baseball. There is a chance he starts in AAA but he will very likely make his debut this year and he should provide some offense, especially OBP.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Avila has not pitched in the rotation for a full season since 2026. Since he is replacing SP Layne he will be worth keeping an eye on if he can handle a full season in the rotation again.
Expectation: NYY is running back mostly the same team as last year that earned them 90 wins, however the competition will be more difficult this year. I think 85-90 wins is what I would expect from NY this season.

Summary: These are all fairly solid teams that each have a shot at winning the division. My money is on NYY as they are the most well-rounded team in the division, but it really could come down to deadline additions to win the Professional Division.

For the GMs of the AL Professional Division:

What was your biggest perceived weakness in the offseason, and what did you do to fix it?

What is your record prediction for your team this season?

Who is the most underrated player on your club?

What needs to happen for you to consider 2029 a successful season?

Who wins the AL Professional division this year?

Alek

Re: AL Professional Division Preview

Post by Alek » Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:14 am

What was your biggest perceived weakness in the offseason, and what did you do to fix it?

Definitely the offense, Hoping that the acquisition of Senzel, Hassell, Bell and Ramirez will help

Around 85-95

Last year it was McKay, started in the bullpen as a longman and pitched so well he got moved back in to the starting rotation

Can Quijada be a successful starter, taking a big risk for him but if he can perform as a starter he completely elevates this rotation along with Carrillo

Of course i have to say Tampa Bay

pumpkin-Rangers

Post by pumpkin-Rangers » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 pm

Texas:
It was obvious that pitching was my biggest weakness, considering my bullpen was middle of the pack a lot of that heat was on my starters, it came at the expense of one of my star hitters, alas a bounce back year from Howell and Michael Kopech pitching like himself it should lead to a huge increase in my pitching. Defense was also an issue which made my poor pitching worse so I grabbed Nick Allen in the rule 5, I'm hoping he can be respectable at the plate with plus defense to help all the groundball pitchers I acquired.
Probably somewhere in the 81-90 range likely battling for the division or a WC spot
The most underrated player is probably Jeremy Fill, came up last year in his first full year and showed he belonged despite fighting for playing time, this year I expect him to take the reins in the 1B/DH role and hopefully hit 30+ HR. Johnny Howell should also be a good pitcher despite his poor performance last year
Playoffs is the sign of a successful season but ideally, I'd like to make a bigger impact and get passed the first round and hopefully my pitching can do that for me
I'm going to bet on myself and say it's Texas despite my question marks losing all the offense, I think Arguelles plays to his level this season and a full year of Reynolds can make up for the lost offense while Nick Allen can hold his own with the bat and give me plus defense at short equaling Keybers production, if it wasn't me I'd bet on NYY as we've always had a fun rivalry so I hope it's us two fighting for the division

joe-mariners

Post by joe-mariners » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:28 am

I think our weakness was offense, especially down the stretch when we choked our playoff spot. I brought in Reece Hinds, Luis Espinoza, and Rhys Hoskins this offseason. I also think a full season of Bencosme will help a lot, dude can swing the bat. Also banking on Chris Carlson putting it all together, he's got all the tools to be a solid hitter in this league, just hasn't done it yet.

I really like the way our team looks this season, I'm hopeful for 90+ wins, I think our pitching should be top tier and hoping all the power in the lineup helps us win games.

Probably Bencosme or Doro. Bencosme should be a marvelous hitter against RHP this season, and Doro is a two way threat with the potential to be a plus player both on the mound and at the plate, he's had success at both in his short time in the bigs, but hoping for sustained success throughout a full season

Making the playoffs. It's been 3 full seasons since we've last made it, and our budget has been hurting as a result. I think this team has the potential to make it far.

Hopefully us. Lots of talent in the division, especially on the mound, I think every team in this division has an incredibly pitching staff and bullpen, should be a competitive season all around

briansss

Post by briansss » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:43 pm

NYY - GM Brian Sanchez

We led all of baseball in strikeouts in 2028 so that was a priority in shifting to 2029. Our main priority was decreasing the amount of strikeouts we put together in a season. With what was available in free agent market, we believe Austin Beck adds some insurance in that department and brings with him valuable OF defense.

We predict another 90 win season. We're running the same recipe once more. These guys know what to do, they've gotten to the postseason once already and have what it takes to get there again.

Carlos Aguiar has had a positive influence on this club since day 1. We believe in his skillset and hope he continues down this path as he will have more playing time. We have our starters who bring what they bring but those complimentary pieces are important as well.

For 2029 to be a success we need to recruit a difference maker to punch our ticket to the World Series. Last season was a failure in that sense but we were missing a valuable piece in Deivi Garcia when he went down at the end of September. We still managed to hold our own but we have unfinished business this season.

I think we have a pretty good shot at taking the division this season but anything can happen. Any team in this division is a trade away from coming out on top.