2033 AL Champion Division Preview

Post articles here about your team or the CLUB.
Chris_SFG

2033 AL Champion Division Preview

Post by Chris_SFG » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:07 pm

AL Champion Division

Teams that left the division: NYY-, TB-
Teams that joined the division: KC+, BOS+

Los Angeles Angels:
2032 Review:
LAA have been a model of consistency, winning 91+ games every season but one since 2020 (the exception was 85 win season), but they once again failed to win it all in 2032.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: LAA let some nice regulars and role players hit FA in RP Ortiz, CF Penn, 2B Soto, C Clauch, 2B Young, SP Winn, and 2B Hannonian.
Players Acquired: They did sign some regulars in SP Zoll and 3B Torres, and supplements CF Utecht and C Pineda.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: Who else but Mike freaking Trout in his age 42 season. He still walks 100+ times a year and provides 30+ homeruns, how long can he defy age??
Pitcher to Watch: While LAA have a solid rotation, they also have the #23 prospect in AAA waiting for his shot. While he struggled in AAA last season, he will surely be ready for the big leagues, and will probably see his debut at some point.
Expectation: This is a solid put together team. I struggle to find any glaring weakness, where even the lesser players like SS Pacheco provide significant defensive value and still have the ability to put up solid numbers. Ho hum this team will be in the playoffs again this year likely with mid-90s wins as they give themselves another shot at a championship that has eluded them since 2023.

Baltimore Orioles:
2032 Review:
BAL should probably see a doctor about their irregular playoff appearances. They made the playoffs consecutive seasons for the first time 1996-1997, and made it all the way to the World Series before being swept. But maybe this is a new BAL team that will contend each year.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: BAL let 2 key players hit FA in SS Flores and DH Moncada.
Players Acquired: They replaced Flores by signing SS Baylor to a solid contract, while also adding some much needed pitching in the BP with Saucedo and Morales.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: It looks like the plan to replace Moncada’s production is rookie and top 50 prospect Pulido. While he still looks pretty raw, he should come into his own and become a valuable part of this BAL lineup.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Leinberger had a breakout season in 2032 with a 3.16 ERA and 4.0 WAR, which was a substantial improvement on his 4.45 ERA rookie season. A big reason for that was a drop in BABIP of .40 points however as his K/BB rate increased marginally. Can he sustain weak contact, or can the league adjust?
Expectation: BAL replaced and likely upgraded at SS, their OF might take a small hit in production with the loss of Moncada, and they drastically improved their BP. All signs point to BAL having another successful season competing for a tough division and ultimately having their eyes set on another championship.

Kansas City Royals:
2032 Review:
This has been a tough team to predict the last several years as they have had several 97+ win seasons, but also some low 80 wins in there as well. They are coming off a 100 win season and a loss in game 7 of the ALCS to BAL.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: SP Norris, 2B Javier, RP Irvine, and C Cardenas were all lost to FA.
Players Acquired: KC signed a lot of backup and role players to supplement their star talent. They signed backups - 3B Toribio, OF Lora, C Wells, BP arms – RP Reifert and Perez, and 3 fringe starting pitchers to replace Norris as well as injured starters Layne Jr & Pacheco.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: 3B Ramos had a breakout year in 2032 putting up 5.5 WAR with a .904 OPS. He certainly has the talent to sustain that productivity and be a perennial all-star.
Pitcher to Watch: I would love to say SP Bojorquez as he is just special to watch each season. But I’m going to highlight SP Pinion. He had a solid 3.70 ERA in his rookie campaign, but his FIP was 4.79. With some of the pitching injuries and uncertainty, Pinion will need to step up and be at least a solid #3 behind Bojorquez.
Expectation: KC still has their star power in Bojorquez, Barkers, Ramos, and Leto. But they still need the other regulars to provide adequate production. I don’t think KC has another 100 win season because the floor is too high, but I still see a high ceiling either. My guess is they are closer to mid to high 80s in wins this season.

Oakland A’s:
2032 Review:
OAK is coming off an 89 win season and playoffs where they lost in the Divisional Series to BAL. They will be looking to make the playoffs for the 6 time in 8 years, which would be a franchise first.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: OAK lost SP Fisher in FA along with utility OF Utecht.
Players Acquired: The only notable acquisition was RP Romero who is currently on the 60-day IL.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: It looks like Adorno will be the starting RF for OAK. He finally had a solid season in 2032 with a 101 OPS+ over a full season. He will be counted on in OAK to build on that this year.
Pitcher to Watch: SP Osario had a disappointing rookie season after being taken in the Rule 5 draft in 2032 putting up a 5.60 ERA in 167 innings. He still has #2 starting talent, look for him to take a leap and put up solid sophomore numbers this year.
Expectation: This is the same team that won 89 games last year sans Fisher, but has a plethora of young pitching that should take a step forward in their production (Feck, Osorio, Ledesma in AAA). Look for another high 80s win season and WC position, with a not impossible chance to win the division.

Boston Red Sox:
2032 Review:
BOS has consistently won between 78-84 wins every season, except 2031, since 2026. They are coming off an even 81-81 season where they underperformed and their pythagorean record was actually 88-74 and led the league in runs scored.
Offseason Recap:
Players Lost: BOS lost some fringe players, the only notable player was SP Meador.
Players Acquired: They signed SP Graterol and 4 fringe relievers.
Season Preview:
Position Player to Watch: Look for RF Delgado to take a step forward this year after posting a .769 OPS in his sophomore season, down from his rookie .877 OPS.
Pitcher to Watch: It is rare I highlight a reliever, but RP Grannum has the potential and likelihood to be a real difference maker at the back of the bullpen. He may not start the year as the CL, but I would be surprised if he is not that by the end of the year.
Expectation: Aside from the loss of Meador, this is a similar team to last year. But there are several young guys who could lift this team’s ceiling (Delgado, Brink, C and #5 overall prospect Espinoza in AAA). So while the likely scenario is a mid 80s win team, it would not shock me to see 90+ wins and the division.

Summary: The last time I did these previews was for the 2029 season, and this division was the same aside from BOS. There is a reason for that. These are the crème of the crop in the AL, solid teams that know how to manage for the long haul. While I think BAL & LAA have the best shot at the division, all these teams are playoff caliber and certainly have the talent to go all the way.

For the GMs of the AL Champion Division:
What was your biggest perceived weakness in the offseason, and what did you do to fix it?

What is your record prediction for your team this season?

Who is the most underrated player on your club?

What needs to happen for you to consider 2033 a successful season?

Who wins the AL Champion division this year?