2020 Trade Deadline Media Day

alexsheft

2020 Trade Deadline Media Day

Post by alexsheft » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 am

As we did last year, I thought it would be nice for everyone to take a little time and discuss their deadline moves (or lack thereof, potentially).

1. How did your deadline go overall?
2. What didn't you get done that you had hoped to do?
3. Who has been your most pleasant surprise so far? Biggest disappointment?
4. Which acquisition (if any) are you most excited about? Which departure will hurt the most?
5. How has your farm changed since the start of the year? Trending up, down, or about the same?
6. What are your goals for the second half (both player performances as well as team)?
7. Which trade were you most surprised by this deadline season?
8. Which teams have improved the most since the start of the year?
9. What's your updated World Series prediction?

Kyle-Braves

Re: 2020 Trade Deadline Media Day

Post by Kyle-Braves » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 am

Solid... We were already a well-constructed team, but our rotation has been banged up, and a few young guys aren't quite ready for the show. So grabbing Jacob Faria, Danny Salazar and Tyler Glasnow to bolster the rotation for a stretch run should help tremendously.

Nothing

Arrieta has been an amazing surprise. 17-3 record so far and a sub-3 ERA. Disappointment is Michael Gigliotti, but he's been a nice platoon with Carlos Tocci in CF.

4. Which acquisition (if any) are you most excited about? Which departure will hurt the most?
Jacob Faria. I hate that I had to give up my 2020 first rounder Zack Thompson, but I think Faria has potential to be a star.

5. How has your farm changed since the start of the year? Trending up, down, or about the same?

About the same. Most of my moves have come to improve the big league club, but I've kept the core of my farm intact, and added a few nice upper level pieces I'm excited about in the next year or two.

6. What are your goals for the second half (both player performances as well as team)?

Win the whole damn thing.

Machado to the Phillies

Angels, Phillies

Braves and Dodgers--Braves win it all

joryBlueJays

Post by joryBlueJays » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:41 am

What deadline?

I wanted to trade for Harper but Kyle wouldn't take Arenado.

Disappointment: Arenado Surprise: Alford is impressing

Acquisition?

Eh

Don't get relegated.

Machado

I couldn't tell you to be honest.

Dodgers over Rockies in 4

alexsheft

Post by alexsheft » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:55 am

Pretty good. Obviously Sale and Lindor were the marquee moves, but we also shored up our bullpen with Minter, Cingrani, and Doolittle. Most of our starters have low stamina, and with the recent injuries to Bundy and Sale, we'll need the bullpen depth during the stretch run.

It would have been nice to acquire a rental back rotation starter to fill in for Sale for the next month, but hopefully Robbie Ray can hold down the fort for the time being.

Tyler Wade and Dylan Bundy, two relatively cheap, unassuming offseason pickups have been playing incredibly well all year. Wade has been an on-base and speed machine at the top of our lineup, and Bundy is leading the league in ERA. Biggest disappointment is probably Trout, and that's saying something as he's still on pace for 5 wins. However, his average, OBP, and slugging are all way down from where they usually are (partly due to the tougher league).

Sale. While Lindor is a better player, I've been hunting for a second top of the rotation pitcher to complement Ohtani, and we found just that in Sale. As an added bonus, he has by far the best stamina of any of our starters (hopefully allowing our bullpen to rest once he's back from injury), and is under contract for several more years.

What farm?

Stay in second place until Sale and Bundy are healthy. Get all cylinders firing in September and make a deep postseason run.

Machado and Ramirez to the Phillies. I'm shocked that they were both traded in the same deal, and even more shocked since Tampa is currently in a playoff position.

The Phillies made a huge splash with the Machado/Ramirez deal, but the Braves have been slowly adding to both their MLB roster and their farm. They look ready to make the jump to the PRO next year.

Dodgers over Angels, in 6.

Zeg

Post by Zeg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:12 am

Fairly well. I'm relatively new to the league and came to my team while it was already in the relegation zone. I made a couple of big moves (Benni/Sale) that I wouldn't have had to make if the potential for relegation wasn't there. I'd rather move now than potentially lose Sale for nothing and I feel like I got solid value for him.

Two things, one I would have liked to move Xander. He has an opt out if I'm demoted. He's young, cheap, and locked up but I never got an offer that I wanted. The second thing was acquire a power bat. My team is lacking a power threat with Devers out. He'll be back in a few weeks, but it would have been nice to get him some protection.

Yohander Mendez has been the biggest surprise. He was basically a throw in on the Sale deal and in two starts he has pitched really well for me. Biggest disappointment is definitely Bumgarner. Had he pitched to his potential I would have been buying instead of selling this deadline.

I'm excited for the next few seasons so that the pitching I acquired, namely Edgar Arredondo to be in the big leagues. I think losing Benni will hurt just based on how poorly Bumgarner has been pitching. I also got a prospect in the deal, but at best he's a back end starter.

I inherited a decent farm system and now I'm set for the next few seasons. Most of my offense is locked up and young, and I have the top 4 pitching prospects in the CLB.

I'd like to get out of the relegation spots which I think is reasonable. I'm going to start working on integrating a few rookies here and there and prepare for next season.

Lindor, just because he was the first domino to fall. Once he was moved it put Cleveland in full tank mode.

I wasn't around at the start of the season, but since I joined I think the Angels just since they acquired Sale and Lindor.

LAD over LAA 4-2.

bradymac24

Post by bradymac24 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Well, the bulk of the team is gone including Machado, Ramirez, and Faria. That being said we have a greta farm system now and have a lot of freed up money to use when the time is right. Small Market Problems..
Honestly, if we would have won the Lindor sweepstakes, this Rays team would look completely different. I took over the team mid season so I wasn't really sure what to do with the,. I guess a rebuild was the way to go.
Brent Rooker. The dude straight up Rakes. He's at the top of the CLB and HR's as well as WAR. Dissapointment would have to go to the pitching rotation. We currently do not have a guy with an era under 5... it's sad.
Very stoked for all of my minor league acquisitions. The two big ones would have to be Braden Shewmake and Zach Thompson. Shewmake is going to be a star in the league and should be ready to go late next year. Thompson has a lot of potential and I'm super excited for him to join the pitching rotation in a few years. I'm slightly worried about him with the injury to his shoulder, but I'm hoping for a full recovery. The departures that hurt the most are pretty self explantory. (ASK the Phillies and Braves).
The farm is most definitely trending up. Especially in the pitching department. We should have a filthy staff here in the next few years.
Even with this team that seems to be thrown together, It would be awesome to make playoffs. Currently we are tied for the final spot and I really think if the pitching situation gets straightened out, it is doable.
Machado.
N/A
Braves and Dodgers, with the Dodgers winning in 6. (You're welcome Kyle). But in all reality the Braves have a nice squad over there. Should be fun to watch!

jake-texas

Post by jake-texas » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:46 pm

alexsheft wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:33 am
As we did last year, I thought it would be nice for everyone to take a little time and discuss their deadline moves (or lack thereof, potentially).

1.) Fantastic. Trust the process. It went alright, moved a few guys, like the way this team is heading more or less.
2.) I didnt break my 5k PR, but I think I can live without that. In terms of OOTP, i failed to aquire mike trout for a 39th round draft pick
3.) Pleasant Surprise: Uhhhhh. Adrian Simpson? Biggest Disappointment: Literally everyone
4.) I like a few of the specs I got, Juan Hillman and a few of the guys from the rio ruiz trade whose names escape me.
5.) Mild upwards trend
6.) Hopefully, I dont know, win another game?
7.) Machado trade I think
8.) San Fransisco
9.) Oakland or LA dodgers. Angels are overrated :wink:

aaron

Post by aaron » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:21 am

When you trade the best player in the game, things aren't going well.
Win
Pleasant surprise has been the development of some of my top specs. Otherwise, my major league team has been pretty disappointing, especially Kole Calhoun and Adrian Beltre.
Hurt the most: pretty obvious.
I'm most excited about bringing in Brendan McKay. He could finally be a two-way player that works out for me.
After trading most of my ML talent, my farm is pretty good (3rd in the CLB). Trending up.
At this point I want to be relegated, so I hope I finish 10th in the CLB and can start fresh and solid in the PRO next year.
The Machado trade was a stretch by both teams. I don't think the Rays were ready to sell and I don't think the Phillies were ready to buy.
Definitely the Los Angeles Angels.
Freeway Series in LA.