2019 Media Day

Athleticsgm

2019 Media Day

Post by Athleticsgm » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Hey guys,

Stole this idea from another league I'm in (credit John in abl) because I think it's great. If you wouldn't mind taking a couple of minutes to answer the following questions I think that would be great.

1. In general, how did the offseason go?
2. What's the most significant change you made to your team?
3. Who are you going to miss the most off of last years team?
4. If you're in a lower division, how long til you see yourself getting promoted to the top?
5. Whose the worst player in the league. The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day?
6. What's your greatest moment in the CLUB so far? Win, signing, trade, whatever, just that moment you look back on fondly!
7. Who is your biggest CLUB rival, and, will they win your division or finish ahead of you?
8. Who do you envision finishing top 2 in the FED, PRO, and Champions league?
9. CLUB World Series prediction. Who is playing and who is winning.

aaron

Re: 2019 Media Day

Post by aaron » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:04 pm

As always, I made quite a few changes. Overall, I think it went well, however. I think I am in a better position than I was last year, in which I won the PRO and made a splash in the playoffs. I hope I can stay relevant in the CLB.
Jonathan Schoop hit 38 home runs and accrued 3.5 WAR for the Orioles last year. I hope he can continue such production, and maybe perhaps improve, this year in Seattle. He will get a shot at being a part-utility guy and will attempt to learn right field this Spring.
Obviously, James Paxton. The Cy Young caliber arm will definitely be missed, but he faded down the stretch and I felt like this was the best time I had to get great value for him.
4. If you're in a lower division, how long til you see yourself getting promoted to the top?
I'm not in a lower division, but I hope to see myself challenge for CLB title in 2 years.
5. Whose the worst player in the league. The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day?
Now that I'm in the CLB, I guess I have to pick a Dodger, right? Clayton Kershaw.
6. What's your greatest moment in the CLUB so far? Win, signing, trade, whatever, just that moment you look back on fondly!
Sweeping the Yankees in last year's playoffs. It showed I was ready for the CLB (at least I hope so).
7. Who is your biggest CLUB rival, and, will they win your division or finish ahead of you?
Tampa Bay is the only team that will join me from last year, so I guess them? I hope I am good enough to finish above them in the standings. I think I am, but it could be close.
Dodgers, Yankees
Mets, Twins
Braves, Phillies
Mets over Dodgers

JohnnyMac - Dodgers

Post by JohnnyMac - Dodgers » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:11 pm

1. In general, how did the offseason go? Was a little slow but only because I didn't try to get anyone in the Rule 5 and just one FA.
2. What's the most significant change you made to your team? Added a Power Right hand Hitter and got a few great prospects for free (DJ Stewart)
3. Who are you going to miss the most off of last years team? Mazara and Puig
5. Whose the worst player in the league. The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day? I would say Kemp or Rich Hill but I got lucky and traded them away
6. What's your greatest moment in the CLUB so far? Win, signing, trade, whatever, just that moment you look back on fondly! Having a few of my prospects come up to the Big Leagues and play well (Buehler, Verdugo)
7. Who is your biggest CLUB rival, and, will they win your division or finish ahead of you? The Nats. I hope not
8. Who do you envision finishing top 2 in the FED, PRO, and Champions league? (Dodgers, Nats) (Angels, Mets) (Oakland, San Fran)
9. CLUB World Series prediction. Who is playing and who is winning. I say the Dodgers, even though I lost first round of the Play Offs and METS

joryBlueJays

Post by joryBlueJays » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:15 pm

1. Not bad I suppose. We'll see how blackmon does but I'm okay with it.

2. I signed Charles Blackmon. And some asian reliever that my manager expects to be the closer.

3. I'm going to miss Pillar. I know he will never even come close to as good as he was before I traded him but I still miss the guy.

4. Not sure to be honest. Probably a little while atleast.

5. I love him but Tulo. I could use a little bit of relief from that contract.

6. Not really any moment. it's been fairly average for me so far.

7. Twins. THEY SHOULDN'T ACTUALLY BE GOOD

8. FED: Phillies, Giants PRO: Blue Jays (I had too) and Twins. CLB: Seattle and Yankees

9. Yankees and Marlins. Marlins win

starfox64

Post by starfox64 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:54 pm

Well, getting hired just before the start of the new year is always tough. I'm inheriting a team that I'll need to figure out the best next steps for. Fortunately, Tieran left me with a solid core of young players and developing prospects, but there's a lot of work to do.
In my short tenure, the gutsiest move was definitely the $12 million signing of Diekman for a year. It's a risky investment, but we're hoping he can close the door on tight games down the stretch.
Every starting pitcher that was traded for specs. We were absolutely gutted, and it definitely hurts our chances without a solid front to back end rotation.
It's going to take us a little bit to rise back up to where we started. Smart move by Tieran to realize this team just wasn't quite ready to compete yet, and go all in on the future.
5. Who's the worst player in the league. The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day?
The easy answer doesn't make it wrong: Mike Trout, I'm looking at you. The reigning PRO MVP is a machine on the diamond, and we mark the days on the calendar we have to face him.
Recent trade talks I've been engaging in. It's very satisfying to have to work to make a deal happen, and even when a deal falls through it still feels cool because it's realistic.
Don't have one yet. But I expect that to change this year.
FED: White Sox and A's. A lot of young talent on the rosters and the A's did well to get Machado in his prime.
PRO: Angels and Blue Jays. Trout and Donaldson shows coming to PRO ballparks near you.
CHA: Dodgers and Nationals. The kings stay kings.
9. CLUB World Series prediction.
I see a stunning Angels/Dodgers crosstown matchup, with the city of Los Angeles losing its collective mind. Series gets a ton of hype and....Dodgers take it in 4. #seriessweep

Bugs Spalding

Post by Bugs Spalding » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 am

The Minnesota Twins endured a casualty filled season in 2018, something they hope to avoid this coming season. After a quick start and sitting on top of the Professional League for most of the season, the mounting injuries kept team trainer Tony "Lucky" Leo quite busy indeed. Our boys off the bench put in solid efforts but the injury bug kept on biting. After finishing second to Seattle, failing to advance in the playoffs and losing out on being promoted, the team once again must fight its way to the top of the PRO league.

The day-to-day lineup remains mostly the same from last year. At age 35, Joe Mauer returns at first base and Miguel Sano, after a season long injury, will man the hot corner at third. The dependable Eduardo Escobar slides over to SS, having proved that he is more than just a bench player. Replacing Brian Dozier at second will be Jorge "Chulo" Polanco, who is returning after being out most of last year with a suspension. The "nothing but raindrops" outfield will return in good hands with Buxton, Rosario, and Kepler. Pressing Jason Castro for the starting spot behind the plate will be catcher Mitch Garver.

The most notable changes with the pitching staff is seen with the starters. The big name players leaving the team at different points in the season were Ervin Santana, Phil Hughes, and Lance Lynn. Leaving with them were their large salaries, with the savings used to compensate several players entering their first arbitration hearings. Two of this year's replacement starters are coming off the DL, former Yankee Michael Pinada and Jose Berrios, who went down near mid-season last summer. The 3rd replacement (and 5th starter) will come from a stable of prospects and will be determined in spring training. Of note in the bullpen is the addition of two-time all-star closer Joakim Soria, recently acquired from the White Sox. At 34 years of age, he shows no sign of slowing down.

If the team can avoid the rash of injuries that crippled the team last season, expect to see the Twins at the top of the standings battling its way to a year ending promotion.

Kyle-Braves

Post by Kyle-Braves » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:17 am

I'm happy with it. Didn't land the blockbuster RF I was hoping, and I shipped young stud Ronald Acuna to Oakland. But Cory Spangenburg (Free Agency) and David Peralta (Trade, Arizona) should prove to benefit from a hitter-friendly park for LH. Also got SS Luis Guillorme from Oakland as part of the Acuna deal--I've been after him since the league started.

Acquisition of SS Guillorme from Oakland. Should make up for Acuna's lost defense. Just hope he can hit.

Ronald Acuna... Miss you buddy

Within three seasons

Manny Machado -- Ugh. Why did he have to come to the FED?

Grabbing Jake Lamb from Arizona, and watching him turn into the FED MVP.

Well, it was San Diego, but Simon left. I'd say Pittsburgh is second, but Brady hasn't exported in a while. So let's go with the Giants.

FED - Braves, A's
PRO - Mets, Rockies
CLB - Dodgers, Indians

Dodgers vs Mets - Mets win.

Athleticsgm

Post by Athleticsgm » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm

Beyond excited for the A's future. Took in a lot of money with our Machado deal but found a lot of young guys to build around in Ronald Acuna and Joey Gallo. More importantly, we liked the depth we were able to secure in FA for our minors like Tzu Wei Lin and Cargo, amongst others.

The acquisition of SS Machado will probably be our most significant change. Allowed us to move Fan fav Guillorme in our deal for Acuna.

Maybe I answered this in the last question but I'll miss Swaggerty (even though he never played for last year's team) and Guillorme the most

Goal was to rebuild for a season and have the pieces set to make the jump two years in a row. We plan on being in the top division in two seasons.

Kyle. No further comment

Acquisition of Luis Castillo and Nick Senzel in the same deal. Two cornerstones that really put our rebuild in motion.

You've got to win to have a rivalry and we did a poor job of doing that last season.

FED - A's, Giants (but looks extremely competitive)
PRO - Mets, Angels (like what the Angels have done this offseason)
CLB - Dodgers, Nationals and it doesn't even look close

A's beat the Dodgers because I'll never bet against myself

SamOrioles

Post by SamOrioles » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:04 pm

Well - considering I'm in full rebuild mode... I suppose that part went well.
Trading Manny Machado. I think I got a great haul for him, and he wasn't going to help much short term.
Machado.
2 seasons hopefully...
N/A
Too soon for that!
Again, 1st season here too soon for that!
Not sure - still figuring out who is where!
Repeat of last year.

alexsheft

Post by alexsheft » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:45 pm

Athleticsgm wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:51 pm
1. In general, how did the offseason go? I'm very pleased with our offseason. We made substantial upgrades at RF, 3B, SP, and 2B via trade, and C via free agency. Additionally, we were able to unload some unnecessary contracts to free up budget space and give us flexibility to make more moves in the future.
2. What's the most significant change you made to your team? The most significant moves were probably the Yasiel Puig trade and the Jonathan Lucroy signing. Adding Puig to an outfield of Upton and Trout has cemented it as one of the best in the game, and Lucroy gives us great offensive production at a position that was a weakness for us last year.
3. Who are you going to miss the most off of last years team? Zack Cozart. I believe he is better than his stats indicated last year, but when Adrian Beltre became available I had to pounce on the chance to get a player of his caliber.
4. If you're in a lower division, how long til you see yourself getting promoted to the top? Our goal is to go up to the CLB this year. We have the talent, with one of the best lineups in the game. The pitching staff is going to be a weak point, but hopefully we have enough to let our offense shine through.
5. Whose the worst player in the league. The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day? I can't say Puig now that he's on our team so... Nolan Arenado.
6. What's your greatest moment in the CLUB so far? Win, signing, trade, whatever, just that moment you look back on fondly!I haven't been in the league very far, but I think I was happiest with the Rule 5 draft this year. We added eight players (though we had to return one), including our #4 starter, backup catcher, possible starting first baseman, and multiple high upside bullpen arms.
7. Who is your biggest CLUB rival, and, will they win your division or finish ahead of you? The Mets sure look to be our toughest competition this year. They've got one of the best pitching staffs in baseball, the question is just will their offense keep up?
8. Who do you envision finishing top 2 in the FED, PRO, and Champions league? CLB top two will be Dodgers and Yankees. PRO top two will be Angels and Mets. FED top two will be Oakland and San Francisco.
9. CLUB World Series prediction. Who is playing and who is winning. This is a tough one... I'll go with Dodgers over Mets, in 6. Feel free to remind me of this when Miami sweeps Tampa.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:45 pm.