2019 Ammy Draft Media Day

starfox64

2019 Ammy Draft Media Day

Post by starfox64 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:19 pm

With the long pause for the week and my boredom rising, thought we could follow up on the pre-season media day with another one at a major benchmark of the season, the amateur draft. I made up these questions on the fly, so I hope they’re interesting!

1) Who’s been the biggest surprise on your team to this point?
2) In the same vein, who has been the biggest disappointment?
3) With over 10 rounds of the draft already in the books, who’s the newest member of your team you’re most excited for?
4) Who was the riskiest pick you made so far, and why do you think they’ll pan out?
5) How satisfied are you with your team’s performance thus far?
6) Who has been your best performing prospect on the season? How soon might they get the big league callup?
7) Which team, in any league, is a candidate for a dark horse playoff run?
8) At this point, who’d be your top MVP choice from your league?
9) Predict a fate for your team: Promoted, Relegated, Treading Water.

alexsheft

Re: 2019 Ammy Draft Media Day

Post by alexsheft » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:46 pm

1. I’ve been really pleasantly surprised by our two preseason waiver pickup relievers (Chaz roe and Adam Morgan). They’ve really solidified the middle of our bullpen. I’ve also been really pleased with the level that beltre has continued to perform at, even at age 40.

2. It’s hard to name a really big disappointment at this point. Danny Duffy had a couple of clunkers immediately after the trade, but his last 3 or so starts were lights out.

3. I was really happy with the diversity of talent I was able to pick up this draft. The biggest steal so far might be 6th round SS Jeremy eierman. He was a guy I was looking at for the second round and on, so I was shocked that he managed to fall so far.

4. First rounder jason Diaz has an extremely high ceiling, but, as a high school pitcher, he comes with some risk. However, due to several safer picks and a farm system in need of top end talent, he was a risk I felt comfortable taking.

5. Hard to be disappointed with an above .600 record and first place in the PRO. I’ve managed to address most of our pressing needs (pitching) early on, and not much else remains to be done.

6. Tie between Luis Ortiz and griffin canning. They’re both on the cusp of a big league role. Canning in particular is one of my most underrated guys, I can’t figure out why prospect lists don’t have him higher. Matt Thaiss, another guy who is missing from lists, made his debut this last sim, and his performance will be important in making a decision on Lucas Duda’s expiring contract.

7. The Colorado Rockies have an insanely talented offense, and a pitching staff that is doing surprisingly well. They’ve been on our backs all year, and I expect that to continue.

8. The easy answer is my own guy, mike trout. His combination of offense, speed, and defense at a premium position makes him a perennial candidate. J.D. Martinez is another candidate on the basis of his (probably unsustainable) absolutely absurd offensive production so far.

9. Barring injury or some other fluke, I expect that we can maintain our position in the PRO and move up to the CLB next year. We’ve still got the possibility to continue improving, too.
Last edited by alexsheft on Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starfox64

Post by starfox64 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:08 pm

starfox64 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:19 pm
1) Who’s been the biggest surprise on your team to this point?
Definitely Franklin Barreto, my 23-year-old who's been a stud through roughly a third of the season, leading the team in WAR, WRC+, AVG, OBP, and SB! Those numbers should regress a bit due to his insane BABIP, but he's been a champ so far.

2) In the same vein, who has been the biggest disappointment?
I'll go with a player who hasn't seen the field at all this season, Lorenzo Cain. He already missed almost all of last season due to injury, and he's on track to miss a good chunk of 2019 as well. His contract is hanging over the team's head like an anvil, and he's got to figure out his health issues, or it'll drop.

3) With over 10 rounds of the draft already in the books, who’s the newest member of your team you’re most excited for?
My 2nd round pick, C Gabe Briones. Love his intangibles and defensive prowess, and if he can hit is projections as a ML average bat, I'll be very pleased.

4) Who was the riskiest pick you made so far, and why do you think they’ll pan out?
Probably 5th rounder SS Nasim Nunez. Could be great on account of his speed and defensive ability, but his bat and 2 mil + desired signing bonus leave something to be desired. I think he can make it to the Show, but only time will tell.

5) How satisfied are you with your team’s performance thus far?
Pretty happy! I think we're due for a run, as we only were truly awful before I figured out the wonky way the team was using its pitchers at the beginning of the year.

6) Who has been your best performing prospect on the season? How soon might they get the big league callup?
Undoubtedly it's Leody Taveras. The 20-year-old switch hitter is batting a scorching-hot .333 on the year in Single A, with over three WAR and an insane ZR of 8.7. He won't be in the majors for a little bit, no reason to rush him, but he's due for a promotion soon.

7) Which team, in any league, is a candidate for a dark horse playoff run?
I really like Colorado's chances as well, carried by J.D. Martinez's bat. The jury's still out on how the pitching will hold up in Coors.

8) At this point, who’d be your top MVP choice from your league?
As the PRO's WAR, AVG and OBP leader, my choice is probably TOR's Charlie Blackmon.

9) Predict a fate for your team: Promoted, Relegated, Treading Water.
Treading water. Brewers narrowly miss out on the playoffs in fourth.

joryBlueJays

Post by joryBlueJays » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 am

1. Charles Blackmon. I figured he be decent but not batting .390 decent.

2. Bo Bichette. He was so good last year. He's been picking it up lately though.

3. Matt Wallner. He's going to be a stud. Josiah Miller is a close 2nd. The future looks bright.

4. I didn't take too many risks but I would say Wallner. There were better contact, speed guys available at the time but I fell in love with his power potential.

5. I'm happy. The pitching has been garbage but the offense has surpassed my expectations by a lot.

6. If Vladdy doesn't count, I would say Anthony Alford. He will be called up if any of my OF get injured.

7. I would say the Yankees. I hate them but you can't deny how good they are.

8. Charles P. Blackmon

9. Treading Water. I'm happy to stay where I am for now.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:43 am.