2019 Trade Deadline Media Day

alexsheft

2019 Trade Deadline Media Day

Post by alexsheft » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:34 am

I thought it would be nice to do another media day, after a frenzied trade deadline. Many players who had been on the block for a long time moved, and there were also several surprises. Please take some time and tell us how your deadline went, and what you hope to accomplish the rest of the year.

1. How did your deadline go overall?
2. What didn't you get done that you had hoped to do?
3. Who has been your most pleasant surprise so far? Biggest disappointment?
4. Which acquisition (if any) are you most excited about? Which departure will hurt the most?
5. How has your farm changed since the start of the year? Trending up, down, or about the same?
6. What are your goals for the second half (both player performances as well as team)?
7. Which trade were you most surprised by this deadline season?
8. Which teams have improved the most since the start of the year?
9. What's your updated World Series prediction?

Thanks everyone!

Tieran

Re: 2019 Trade Deadline Media Day

Post by Tieran » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:25 am

Honestly pretty horribly I came up just short on just about everyone and failed to add a single player. That being said at least I didn't make any horribly stupid trades.

Acquire a new Center Fielder. With Manny Margot injured for the entire season I needed a stopgap center fielder for this season and despite inquiring on almost every decent outfielder available and even some who weren't I struck out on all of them.

Although its a small sample size due to numerous injuries Jose Pirela has been absolutely unreal. He has a 203 wRC+ this year and has been dynamic while healthy. Will Myers on the other hand has been horrendous, he only has a .699 OPS and has quickly become an albatross.

4. Which acquisition (if any) are you most excited about? Which departure will hurt the most?
I made no moves. The soon to be call up of Tatis is exciting though.

5. How has your farm changed since the start of the year? Trending up, down, or about the same?
I would say my farm is about the same but maybe slightly worse due to multiple pitching prospects undergoing major arm surgeries.

6. What are your goals for the second half (both player performances as well as team)?
Stay Healthy and get promoted. This team has a lot of elite young talent and a lot more on it's way but health has been an issue thus far and has held us back.

The Nationals. Definitely didn't expect Harper to be traded.

Angels. Incredible moves by them.

Athletics over Dodgers.

alexsheft

Post by alexsheft » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:12 am

1. I'm really happy with our deadline overall. We brought in a solid SP, excellent bat, and good closer. We also moved two soon-to-be free agents for a series of good to great prospects (and near MLB ready, at that).
2. I was hoping to find another true TOR arm. That didn't pan out, and I think we'll need one next year.
3. I've been really happy with Nick Pivetta. He's turned into a #2 type starter, maybe even an ace. Danny Duffy is improving, but still looking bad. And, of course, the injury to Ohtani was devastating.
4. I'm most excited about Will Smith, probably. Our bullpen has been inconsistent, and hoping he can solidify it. I'm sad to see Diaz go, he has great potential. His arm injury was worrisome, however, and I think we sold high.
5. Probably about the same. The Puig and Simmons trades brought in some nice talent, to offset the guys we shipped out. Our draft's 1-6 rounds have produced one guy who's stuck in our system, 2nd rounder Andrew Vaughn. He is a nice talent at the only position where we don't have anyone locked up long term.
6. We need to solidify our currently weak division lead. I'm hoping to see Duffy improve, and give us a nice Pivetta, Duffy, Cole front end rotation.
7. Definitely the Nats and Harper. I think it's a risky move... we'll see if it pans out.
8. Braves have made some really good moves recently. I think they've become a dark horse contender.
9. A's over Angels. Hard to really compare teams across leagues, but the A's are absolutely stacked. It could really be any of them, us, Dodgers, or Mets.

starfox64

Post by starfox64 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Not well. Really, really wanted to ship Diekman to get some prospect return, or to improve the rotation/pen. None of that happened.

Again, wanted to make some moves to get better pitching, but the price on guys I inquired about was far too high.

Biggest surprise has to be Franklin Barreto. Good player in the minors last season, bur elite in the majors this season. Sure, BABIP is high, but it's been high all season and hasn't regressed. Biggest disappointment is my entire rotation. I didn't expect them to be world beaters...but sheesh. They are truly terrible.

Buster Posey, hands down. Elite catchers are impossible to find, and I have one for three more years. On the flip side, I will never forgive Johnny for fleecing me in one of my first trades in the league, taking Nelson/Crouse/Hiura for Alvarez and Peters. Terrible, terrible trade.

Trending down. Top prospect out for a year and again, stupidly traded away a couple of my best specs.

I want to finish around 4th or 5th and for Barreto to be a legitimate MVP/RoY(??) candidate. Other than that, evaluating prospect performance and adjusting promotions accordingly.

Harper trade, hands down. It's not like he was a rental, and again, I still don't really understand what Washington gains there.

Probably the Braves. They've made the most major deals, but we'll see if they actually improve, or if they miss out barely, which I think would be devastating.

Dodgers over A's, and I cry watching Brandon Woodruff pitch Game 7 in the live sim.

aaron

Post by aaron » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:59 pm

Just fine. Wanted to take it slow, but a deal for Jefry Rodriguez materialized which gave us a bit more movement this year. Still, I feel like we didn't lose much farm capital.

It would have been nice to get a big bat, but overall I'm still satisfied.

Jean Segura has really struggled this year. Now he's injured. Could be a bleak future for him moving forward.

Even though I acquired Bo Bichette, I'm most excited about Randal Grichuk. Losing Domingo Santana early this year hurt, and Grichuk should help full a void and hit more bombs for us.

The Pollock trade was really hard on my farm, causing me to lose Casey Mize. However, I never have a top farm, and feel that I still have enough depth to maintain long-term success.

Avoid relegation. That's pretty much it.

Trading Harper is pretty ballsy, especially when he isn't publicly shopped. However, I do like Sean Newcomb.

Braves had a big year. Athletics are much improved this year as well.

Rays over Dodgers.

joryBlueJays

Post by joryBlueJays » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:15 pm

I think it went okay. I think I lost some skill on the team right now but the future should be better.

I kind of wanted to trade Smoak but it's my own fault for not really putting him out there much.

Donaldson. I knew he was good. Not THIS good. Biggest disappointment has to be Bo Bichette although he's gone now.

I'm really excited about the acquisition of Jefry Rodriguez. Losing Osuna hurt for many reasons. In the end I feel like I had to trade him given his past.

Stayed the same I guess. Not sure.

Winning would be neat.

Harper. What the hell.

Braves 100%

Rockies win it all.

Bugs Spalding

2019 Trade Deadline - MINNESOTA TWINS

Post by Bugs Spalding » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Despite the many trade inquiries, the Twins were inactive. The budget restraints that came into play this year will be gone by season's end, so the Twins will be more active then.
Sure did wish to pick up another starting pitcher, but that's what everyone was after. Also, GM's kept asking for the only 2 good ones on the Twins ML roster.
The best surprise has been how well RF Max Kepler has been playing (AVG=.291 OPS=.889 HR=21 RBI=78 WAR=2.3). Biggest disappoint? Hands down its that bum C Jason Castro (soon to test the free market - good luck ya bum).
When 2B Jorge Polanco came off of suspension, that boosted the team. None of the year end departures will hurt this team at all, but will help free up needed payroll space.
The Twins farm system is doing great. many of the prospects are moving right along. The draft was productive also.
The only team goal is to not be demoted to TFB. Catching the teams at the top of the PRO league is not realistic this season.
Gotta be the Bryce Harper trade, right?
Angels, Rockies, Mets
LA Dodgers

JohnnyMac - Dodgers

Post by JohnnyMac - Dodgers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:44 pm

Dodgers
I think it went well for me. I was only looking to get a reliever and I got a great one with Riley Ferrell.

Would of been nice to sign a big star player but also glad to not take on all the money that comes with them.

Biggest surprise would be Woodruff. He is pitching like and Ace this year. Very disappointed with all the injuries. Top 4 starters all had long term injuries.

TIM TEBOW!

I have traded away a few great prospects to add SP to my rotation (Bumgarner, Nelson, Woodruff) were all added to replace the injured. Still very happy with my farm system that is still tops in the CLB.

Try and stay healthy

Harper

Rockies

Dodgers or Chicago

Athleticsgm

Post by Athleticsgm » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Solid, filled some needed holes and cleared up space for some young top prospects to show their stuff.

Disappointed to have missed out on Winker though. Was a big fan of his affordability and plus bat esp. his eye. I think he has a chance to do some serious damage in LA.

I have a lot of guys that have played better than anticipated but for me I'd have to choose Alex Reyes. While I expected him to be solid this year, I didn't anticipate him having a CY Young caliber season. Our biggest disappointment would have to be Kevin Newman. Fully expected him to run away with 2B this year but he's stumbled out of the gate. Thankfully there is depth behind him that allows us to let him continue to develop in AAA

Tyler Beede seems like the perfect buy low candidate for us. I'm a big fan of his 70 stamina and he had fantastic debut giving us 8 innings w/ 2ER.

Continue to see my young prospects development and stay healthy is the goal

Harper....

I'm assuming this means after the offseason: Angels and it's not close

Idk the playoff format but I'll go with the Mets

tkift

Post by tkift » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 pm

Nationals-
Not bad since I only one day to trade.

Get a catcher. Weiters won’t be back next year.

My outfield. My catchers.

Sean Newcomb looks good. Losing Harper is big but I picked up players to fill other holes and Freeman gives me another bat.

We’re on the bottom and it will take a while to rebuild it.

Just want to make the playoffs and getting the most out of AAA in case of injuries.

I’m glad the Harper trade caused so much talk in the league but I filled a few holes (Zimmerman probably won’t be back next year) and I needed another starter.

The Braves.

Probably the Dodgers taking it all.