2020 Media Day

Athleticsgm

2020 Media Day

Post by Athleticsgm » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Late to the party but here's a recap of last year's media day and the actual results:

Most votes for FED winners (2019 winners bolded): Oakland (5), San Francisco (4), Braves (2), Phillies (2), White Sox (1)
Of note: SF sold off many of their top players soon after the media post was released.

Most votes for PRO winners (2019 winners bolded): Mets (5), Angels (4), Twins (2), Blue Jays (2), Rockies (1)

Most votes for CLB winners (2019 top 2 bolded): Dodgers (6), Yankees (3), Nationals (3), Seattle (1), Indians (1), Cubs (0)

This year's q's:

1. In general, how did the offseason go?
2. What's the most significant change you made to your team?
3. Who are you going to miss the most off of last years team?
4. If you're in a lower division, how long til you see yourself getting promoted to the top?
5. Whose the worst player in the league? The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day? Has it changed from last year?
6. What's your greatest moment in the CLUB last season?
7. Who is your biggest CLUB rival, and, will they win your division or finish ahead of you?
8. Who do you envision finishing top 2 in the FED, PRO, and Champions league?
9. CLUB World Series prediction. Who is playing and who is winning.

joryBlueJays

Re: 2020 Media Day

Post by joryBlueJays » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Quite well. I wish I added pitching but adding Arenado will be huge.

Arenado. both Jonah and Nolan

No one really. I didn't lose any too significant

4. If you're in a lower division, how long til you see yourself getting promoted to the top?
Not sure. I'd like to think I could make it now but my pitching is just too behind everyone elses in my opinion.

5. Whose the worst player in the league? The one player you hate. The one player you wish a career ending injury to every day? Has it changed from last year?
Franklin Barreto. Screw him. Seriously

Donaldson being sooooooo amazing if that counts.

7. Who is your biggest CLUB rival, and, will they win your division or finish ahead of you?
Rockies. They will be 2nd in the division, above me

PRO: Rockies, A's FED: Braves, Padres CLB: Dodgers, Yanks

Rockies, Yankees. Rockies win in 8

alexsheft

Post by alexsheft » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 pm

Decent. We managed to improve a bit in the near term with Lamb and Brantley and Bundy, and managed to rid ourselves of Tim Anderson's contract. Tommy Kahnle and Tyler Wade were very nice cheap pickups as well. However, we were ultimately unable to add anyone who will really help us in the long term, except for unexpectedly-released prospect Edgar Arredondo. He looks like a future ace in the making.

Any of the above three. I'm excited to see what Lamb can do in LA.

Adrian Beltre. I love his personality, and the bat and defense are still quite good. However, moving him allowed us to add Brantley, and made room for Lamb as well, which does make us better in the near term.

I'll answer a slightly different question. I think the team currently is constructed to hover near .500. Our pitching looks to be quite good (with a very deep bullpen), though possibly inconsistent, and our offense looks capable as well. I'm hoping at the very least we can remain relevant in the CLB and prepare for next year, with lots of money coming off the books and the possibility to make a splash.

Now that he' s no longer an Angel, Yasiel Puig!

The three team trade between me, Milwaukee, and LA. Definitely one of the most fun trades to negotiate.

I'd have to say our promotion partner, the Mets. I don't see them beating out the Dodgers, but they can be relevant if their pitching can remain healthy. We were neck and neck with them for most of last year, and more active in the offseason. Time will tell on that one.

CLB: Dodgers and Cubs again. PRO: Oakland and Toronto. FED: Braves and White Sox

Red Sox over Toronto (really no clue, but I do believe Boston is better than their performance last year would indicate).

aaron

Post by aaron » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 am

I switched teams, so it was an adjustment. It was mostly small moves for the Indians, but I like what I did: revamped the leadership in town, and filled in some loose holes. I hope it is enough to avoid relegation.
My biggest acquisition was probably bringing Carlos Santana back to Cleveland and shipping Jose Ramirez out. I think Ramirez might be overrated, but it is a huge risk. Santana is already injured.
Definitely Jose Ramirez. The guy can play everywhere with value, and is not as good as Ketel Marte/Matt Duffy/Yandy Diaz replacements
N/A
I don't know, I don't like wishing ill on players.
Leaving the Mariners? Honestly, last year was rough.
I think my biggest rival currently is the Red Sox. Matt and I are both on different teams, but may both get relegated two years in a row.
CLB: Dodgers and Cubs
PRO: Blue Jays and Twins
FED: Braves and White Sox
Dodgers over Rays

Simon_Padres

Post by Simon_Padres » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 am

Not bad, but not great. I had quite a few trade deals fizzle and I didn't have a lot of money to get involved in the Free Agent market.

After a couple years of injuries killing some of our young guys (Urias, Margot) we went and fired our Team Trainer and hired Mr. Nathan Lucero.

RP Brad Hand, he was an anchor at the back end of our bullpen.

This is the year for the Padres. We must make the promotion or else our salary situation will catch up to us too quickly. Pro next year, Champions league the following year, World Series Champions in 2022 or 2023.

I'd love to see Bryce Harper go down hard since it will help our chances in the Fed. Otherwise I'd say it's Jake Lamb, that guy's a bum who had two solid years in Atlanta and should have been beaned.

Making the playoffs, setting up Tampa Bay for a successful season this year by clearing some cap space.

I guess it's the Braves, it was at one time maybe the Mets as we had a battle in 2018. It seems that the last couple of years though it's been the Braves and Padres fighting for that promotion.

They won't finish ahead of me because the Padres are on a mission from God.

Champions: Dodgers, Mets
Pro: Oakland, Rockies
Fed: Padres, Braves

Dodgers get the win over the Mets.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 am.