The Bronze Slugger Awards 2020

Simon_Padres

The Bronze Slugger Awards 2020

Post by Simon_Padres » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:37 pm

In baseball we give awards to those who have excelled. Best manager, Gold Gloves, Silver Sluggers are all great awards that we love to vote on and debate. It also makes us feel vindicated in our choices as GM when one of our players win one of these awards.

These are not those type of awards! I present to you the following award: The Bronze Slugger Award - These players couldn't hit a beach ball with a paddle off a tee. They are ghosts on the base-paths and they are never winded because they don't hit more than singles. Please GM's tell these players to ride some pine meat!

(Qualifications (350PA minimum: I used OPS because I thought it to be the easiest measurement of how well a batter performed. There are of course a lot better metrics to be used when judging the value of a hitter, but for the Bronze Slugger Award we want to recognize those who underperformed against their peers quickly. Also, to qualify for the position you had to play more than half your games at the position. Let me know if you find one that I overlooked and we will rip this coveted trophy right out of the player's trophy case and give it to someone more deserving!)

Champion Division

C NYM - Travis D'Arnaud .549 OPS
1b NYM - Peter Alonso .708 OPS
2b NYM - Todd Frazier .688 OPS
SS WAS - Kelvin Gutierrez .550 OPS
3b CLE - Adrian Beltre .607 OPS
LF CLE - Cole Calhoun .683 OPS
CF CHC - Albert Almora .678 OPS
RF NYM - Juan Lagares .583 OPS
DH NYM - Yoenis Cespedes .674 OPS

Pro

C TOR - P.J. Higgins .641 OPS
1b MIN - Joe Mauer .695 OPS
2b MIN - Garrett Hampson .703 OPS
SS PHI - JP Crawford .616 OPS
3b MIN - Eduardo Escobar .662 OPS
LF MIN - Keon Broxton .682 OPS
CF SEA - Dee Gordon .576 OPS
RF TEX - Zach Zehner 640 OPS
DH TEX - Trent Grisham .599 OPS

Fed

C DET - John Hicks .632 OPS
1b KC - Ryan O'Hearn .708 OPS
2b CIN - Shedrick Long .686 OPS
SS DET - Adeiny Hechavarria .567 OPS
3b MIA - Hanser Alberto .613 OPS
LF PIT - Jordan Luplow .686 OPS
CF CWS - Charlie Tilson .637 OPS
RF KC - Jorge Bonifacio .697 OPS (2x)
DH CWS - Luis Robert .593 OPS

Bronze Slugger Champion: C Travis D'Arnaud - Who? Exactly! This guy didn't hit for average. He was never on base, and he thought Slugging was something you did when you went into the forest on a damp day in the PNW. Second year in a row that it's a Champion's Division Catcher that takes this award.

Bronze Slugger Team Champion: New York Mets (5) - Good thing we have a new Mets GM, maybe he will turn things around. Second year in a row that it's a Champion's Division Team. The pitching must be a lot better up there.

Special Shout out to the Kansas City Royals - The only repeat winner, Jorge Bonifacio isn't a great fielder, can't really hit, has a crummy personality, and isn't on a long contract. Will we see him come back to take this award again next year?

JF_KC

Re: The Bronze Slugger Awards 2020

Post by JF_KC » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:24 am

Not with the Royals :-)

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:24 am.