2021 Trade Deadline Media Day

alexsheft

2021 Trade Deadline Media Day

Post by alexsheft » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:55 pm

As has become tradition, I thought it'd be nice to put up another media day post for teams to discuss their season so far, and their thoughts going forward at one major season milestone. Please take some time to answer the following questions:

1. How did your deadline go overall?
2. What didn't you get done that you had hoped to do?
3. Who has been your most pleasant surprise so far? Biggest disappointment?
4. Which acquisition (if any) are you most excited about? Which departure will hurt the most?
5. How has your farm changed since the start of the year? Trending up, down, or about the same?
6. What are your goals for the second half (both player performances as well as team)?
7. Which trade were you most surprised by this deadline season?
8. Which teams have improved the most since the start of the year?
9. What's your updated World Series prediction?

YadoTigers

Re: 2021 Trade Deadline Media Day

Post by YadoTigers » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:04 pm

After being hired during the middle of the season for the second worst team in the FED, I didn't have much of any in terms of expectations for the season. I did know that I had to revamp the entire Major League roster; which looked like a AA team in the Southern League who has a team commentator, that frankly, is washed up!

I have been very satisfied with the offensive side of my team but my pitching is horrendous. I cannot say much more than that.

I'm most excited about what the off-season can bring and just itching for next year's draft where I potentially can have 3 first round picks and 2 second rounders!

Best of luck with the rest of the season to all!

JohnnyMac - Dodgers

Post by JohnnyMac - Dodgers » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:15 pm

I didn't need much but was happy get SP Jon Noble to take the spot Kershaw had in the rotation.

Got everything done I feel I needed to try to bet the Angels.

DJ Stewart is playing amazing baseball for me since I put him in the lineup everyday

4. Which acquisition (if any) are you most excited about? Which departure will hurt the most?
Still sad to see Kershaw traded away being a true life Dodger fan but his contract would hurt me in the long run.

5. How has your farm changed since the start of the year? Trending up, down, or about the same?
Farm system is going down only because I have been promoting a few players. I didn't make many trades this year to help bolster my minors.

6. What are your goals for the second half (both player performances as well as team)?
Try to beat the Angels

None, it was a very quiet deadline with only a couple big trades.

A's have always been great in but with them promoted to the CLB they are playing great baseball still against better teams.

9. What's your updated World Series prediction? Any team can win a first round but I would be upset if I didn't win this year.

joryBlueJays

Post by joryBlueJays » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am

I didn't do anything so solid I guess.

Trade Donaldson for 0% retained.

Urena has been solid. Biggest disappointment is Mike Leake that piece of garbage.

What are those?

Kinda the same. Mostly Pardinho

Just miss the playoffs.

None.

A's I suppose. Not really sure otherwise.

Me and Kyle

alexsheft

Post by alexsheft » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:23 am

C+. Not bad but not good either. I didn't think we really had a ton to do, and we ended up not doing much. Our bigger moves were earlier in the year.
I had a last-minute deal in place for Correa that got derailed due to an injury to one of my players... disappointed that it was so last minute because we might have otherwise been able to work something out.
Sean Manaea has been this year's surprise breakout, with an ERA below 3. With Pivetta in 2019, Bundy in 2020, and now Manaea, this marks the third year in a row where a cheap offseason pickup has had an outstanding year for us. On the other side, Brett Siddall hasn't really lived up to his ratings or success from last year.
Tyler Duffey has done great in our rotation so far, and waiver claim Oscar Hernandez might've won the starting catcher job with his bat and defense. We haven't had any significant departures this year, yet.
Trending up. We had a decent draft, and picked up an IFA that looks nice. Several lesser ranked prospects that I picked up in various trades also look really nice to my scout...
We're within striking distance of first place. I'd like to see Siddall's bat improve a bit, and Andrew Miller find some more consistency as well.
Kershaw. I wouldn't have done it if I were the Orioles, but they are in first place. Whether that success is sustainable remains to be seen...
St. Louis has made some great future-focused moves. Philadelphia obviously made a splash with Syndergaard, but their performance so far hasn't really met expectations. New York Mets have also done surprisingly well, justifying the trade on their end. And Baltimore is tearing up the FED this year...
Angels over Dodgers, in an extra-inning game 7 ;)

Simon_Padres

Post by Simon_Padres » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:21 am

Uneventful. That was by our own design. We didn't want to rock the boat too much as the season has been volatile and we didn't know whether to be buyers or sellers.

Everyone is healthy/ish and prospects are developing. I had hoped to get a stud RP as my bullpen has been iffy but we couldn't come to terms with anyone.

Tristian Pompey has been my biggest surprise. I thought he might be ready for the RF spot, but also had reservations. He has hammered pitching in both AAA and ML. Manny Margot has been my biggest disappointment. He's just not performing as well as he did last year, and I thought maybe he had finally turned a corner and become the everyday CF that we can count on for the future. He was next in line for a possible extension but that is now in limbo.

No new acquisitions really, a small prospect trade with Oakland is all. Hedges being moved earlier this year has been the departure that has hurt the most.

I think the farm is trending up with development, but also trending down as we promote young players to the ML roster and they lose the prospect status.

Highest hopes are to make the playoffs in the PRO and just prove to others that this team belongs. Tempered hopes are to stay safely away from relegation back to the FED. I'd like to see Josh Naylor finish the season strong, and hope Gore settles in and takes some development steps.

None really surprised me. Correa at first but then it didn't happen so …

Good question. I feel like a lot of teams stayed in a similar realm. Did the FED teams make any trades to better their teams for now?

Angels over the Dodgers. Dodgers can't buy a championship thus far and that continues this year.

Jon's Brew Crew

Post by Jon's Brew Crew » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:58 am

Quietly well. Traded away a few guys that had been holding back the team with their sub-par performances, and acquired a big lefty reliever in Jacob Lindgren, who could compete for the closer job once Corey Knebel leaves for Free Agency this off-season.

Upgrading the utility guys. This team has been playing very well but, with this lack of MLB-ready depth, is likely one or two injuries away from seeing the wheels fall off.

Biggest surprise is probably the whole pitching staff, which is ranking 1st in most categories in the PRO despite playing in a hitter-friendly field. There's no true star out there except for closer Corey Knebel, but the whole rotation sure has been playing like one.
Biggest disappointment is without a doubt Franklin Barreto. Coming off two straight 5+ war seasons, he's lost both his ability to get on base and his power stroke, and has been barely keeping up with the league average player.

The upcoming departure of Corey Knebel is sure to hurt the team next season : the guy has been unreal in 2021. Lorenzo Cain (who's been raking in the FED) left the team as a financial casualty, and the resulting hole in the outfield depth as yet to be filled. The team is still very excited about the acquisition of #1 prospect Ulysses Cantu, as well as first round picks Steve Putnam and Ben Richards.

Trending up, finally peaking at #1 in the last weeks. 5 picks in the first 3 rounds, the acquisition of Cantu and IFA Juan Machado explain the trend.

Trying to keep up with the Braves is the main objective, but at the same time, the Brewers will be trying to find out what they have in some of their near-ready prospects, with Travis Lane, Michael Byrne, DJ Peters, Je'von Ward and Austen Wade all likely to get their first taste of the Show.

There's been trades?

The Tigers get my nod, as they're suddenly back to being competitive in the FED since Yado took over.

LAD pitching destroys whoever they face in the finals

Athleticsgm

Post by Athleticsgm » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Steady. Found ourselves silent on deadline day but we made a lot of moves throughout the season that we hope keeps pointing the team in the right direction

Hoping to find a DH that could fit our long term plan but didn't happen. We hope to get that accomplished in FA.....oo wait :cry:

Biggest disappointment: Joey Gallo...Not giving us the home run production we were hoping for.
Biggest Surprise: Yoan Moncada is having an MVP caliber season, couldn't say we saw that coming

Sergio Saltos brings the most excitement to our ball club. Most disappointed in losing Bryson Stott in our deal for Gallo. Really like his future as a potential middle infielder

Down...sacrificed some depth this season for some higher end talent. Hope it pays off

Secure a 3 seed or higher so we don't have to play the dodgers to early

Noble deal. Package and how much the Dodgers got retained despite having so much money of course...

Though we quite literally have almost jumped from worst to first (bottom 4 FED to top 3 CLB)...I'll go with the Braves...have made some sound acquisitions and of course anytime you acquire a talent like Harper it is a monumental improvement. Our little bro has improved drastically...can't wait to send him back to the FED next season

A smart man bets on the Dodgers winning it all because I believe them to be in a league of their own. But I'll go for Angels vs. Braves, with the Orioles surprising the Dodgers early...because the playoffs are :ugeek:

Kyle-Braves

Post by Kyle-Braves » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:57 am

Good! Picked up a solid SP piece in Carlos Rodon, and nabbed a good catcher too in Brett Sullivan. Also, Lucas Sims should be some nice depth in a swingman role.

Nothing, I feel pretty good where we are.

Pleasantly surprised by Jake Arrieta -- I thought the end would be nigh after his brilliance last year, but he continues to perform well. Biggest disappointment is a tie between Luis Guillorme (seriously, why does he suddenly suck defensively?) and Samir Duenez (traded Lewin Diaz so THIS could get playing time? Yuck)

Rodon, for sure. Locked him up for 6 years. Think he could be an ace. Hate to see Saltos go a few weeks back--and he's killing it in Oakland's system. I hope I don't regret that trade.

Up up up. In addition to building for now, I've been able to build for the future. I think I had the 9th best farm in the PRO at the start of the year. Now I'm #2.

Win it all. I think we have the pieces to do it.

Jon Noble to the Dodgers. Seriously, who retains for a team that has more money to spend than the other 29 teams combined?

Orioles. What a ride they're on in the FED.

Braves - Dodgers, with Atlanta winning in 6.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:57 am.